Probably one of my favorite forms of social media is Pinterest. I use it for everything from food to interior design, from yoga to outfits, and from holidays to blogging, and more. Here are some of my current favorites.
Good morning! (Afternoon? Evening? Day? Whatever) I had planned to write this blog post ahead of time, like I always do, but my pain has been incredibly high the past couple of weeks and it's jamming my creativity and daily ability to function, so that's great.
1. I was due for my quarterly arthritis infusion a few weeks ago, but due to a scheduling error I'm not having it until next Tuesday.
2. Oh, and that surgery I'm having? Has to be pushed back to February.
3. I'm on a new medication for fibromyalgia, which is slowly starting to help my muscle aches.
4. But a side effect is fatigue, which I already deal with in my high pain.
5. The most basic daily activities - like making breakfast - now feel like running a mile or 5.
6. I'm taking the GRE literature test on Saturday. And I'm not psyched about it. At all.
7. Mostly because it's extremely specific and difficult, not the least when you're in a lot of pain.
8. This is NOT to complain. This is to explain what's going on with me and my life. Because it's also impacting my creativity, which is incredibly frustrating.
And now that we've gone through that ...
I'm also very happy to introduce you to the awesome Marielle!
I'm Marielle, a twenty-seven year old dilettante. This Flooded Sky is where I write about feminism, travel, culture, life, and assorted rants. I used to teach English abroad in Asia, so sometimes I indulge in nostalgia. But I'm bad at a lot of things, so don't expect tutorials or many helpful tips. Mostly, I'm a thinker, cynical idealist, connoisseur of irony, and quiet smirker.
Unless you've been off of social media/the Internet recently, you probably know that ABC Family played all of the Harry Potter movies this past week. As a long-standing Harry Potter fan, I've read the books over and over again. Watching the movies over the weekend brought up a thought that I've had frequently over the years: I would love to read the books from Ron or Hermione's perspective. So I put together what the first 2 books would look like!
Book 1: Ron Weasley & Becoming Best Friends With One of The Most Famous Wizards Alive
- befriending Harry Potter on the train
- horribly insulting and risking my life for an annoying know-it-all
- becoming best friends with her, too
- going through a series of ridiculously difficult tasks to get a special stone
Book 2: Hermione Granger & The Year I Was Petrified By A Giant Snake
- my 2 best friends missing the train and arriving to school in a flying car
- 1 of them hearing things (and me fearing for his mental health)
- oh wait he wasn't hearing things, he can just TALK TO SNAKES
- discovering what was going on way before anyone else (per usual)
- being petrified for the rest of the year instead of dying because of knowing more than anyone else
From whose perspective would you want to read the books? Ron, Hermione, Draco Malfoy, a random Hogwarts student ...? Let me know!
It has been a while since I shared a picture recap, so I'm sharing loads of pictures from my Instagram today!
A picture from my dad's college graduation in honor of his birthday // Beautiful Boston afternoon // Making calendars for my graduate school applications
Homemade zucchini fritters // A fall OOTD // Fall decorations
Gus meeting my friend Jessie, who visited Boston one week // Latte and color-coded notes // Piper cuddling is just the cutest!
About to study for the GRE that day // Gus waiting for my parents to get back from Italy because it had just been too long for him // Watching NCIS with Piper
Abby lounging in the sun // Boston has 2 incredible parts to it - old and historic buildings, and nice and modern ones right there // I'm having surgery! (Even if it now has to be postponed a few months) // Taking a snuggle break with Abby // My Berner mug next to my Berner // Gus and Piper snuggling! And yes, she always snuggles up to his butt like that
... to feeling a bit of blogger's block lately (especially from all of the writing, proofreading, images, promoting, social media, etc.) and needing a bit of a break, which is actually good timing since I'll be taking a break shortly for my next infusion - let me know if you would be interested in guest posting, by the way!
... to breaking the Instagram "rule" of 1 picture a day unless something really exciting happens, such as a vacation or a holiday, on the regular.
... that I sometimes spend more time on Pinterest browsing than I do actually pinning things.
... that for every blog post I've written, I've rewritten it at least 2-3 times.
... and sometimes I've changed the topic more than once (today was one of those times, by the way).
... and that is also often true for social media.
... to comparing myself to other bloggers - how many followers they have, how many they have on different media sites compared to me, etc. - even though I know that it doesn't really matter.
... to spending more than I probably should have on sponsorships early on.
... to occasionally making my life seem a bit better than it is.
... that sometimes I struggle to write about an original topic, because I don't want to sound like all of the other bloggers out there, but nothing has been talked about like how I talk about it, right?
What are your confessions for blogging or social media? Plus - my new video!
It's fall, which means pumpkin everything, amiright? I really love to use pumpkin in gluten-free recipes in order to keep them from being too dry. But obviously the taste really helps, too. So I am linking up with Helene and Taylor for Blogtober today! (If you just care about the giveaway, skip down to the bottom.)